It was another interesting weekend of Aussies Abroad action as Nick D’Agostino and Patrick Yazbek starred in Norway while Fran Karacic also registered an assist in Serie B.
Check out our wrap of all the recent action!
Starting in Norway, Gianni Stensness played 90 minutes while Nick D’Agostino came off the bench in the 67th minute to register two assists for Viking FK in a 2-0 win over Lillestrøm SK on Sunday.
One of those assists was for Subway Olyroo Patrick Yazbek, who calmly finished D’Agostino’s 95th-minute through ball to hand Viking FK their first Eliteserien win.
In Serie B, Fran Karacic played a full game and also grabbed an assist for Brescia Calcio in a 2-2 draw against SPAL on Saturday.
- OPTA Insight: Fran Karacic had the joint-most touches (70), joint-most passes (46), won possession back seven times (the second most) and led his team in interceptions (3) against SPAL.
In the Scottish Premiership, Cameron Devlin and Kye Rowles played a full game while Nathaniel Atkinson came on in the 5th minute as Heart of Midlothian lost 1-0 to Hibernian on Saturday in the Edinburgh derby.
- OPTA Insight: Nathaniel Atkinson contested the most duels (19) and made the most tackles (5) of any Hearts player against Hibs.
James Jeggo also played a full game for Hibs while Garang Kuol was an unused substitute on the Hearts bench.
Hearts had not lost any of their last nine derby matches against Hibs, who are now just two points behind their rivals.
Elsewhere in the Scottish Premiership, Aaron Mooy came off the bench in the 68th minute in Celtic’s 4-1 win over Kilmarnock on Sunday.
Ryan Strain played a full game for St Mirren in a 5-2 loss to Rangers on Saturday while Aziz Behich played another full game for Dundee United in a 2-1 win over Motherwell on Sunday.
- OPTA Insight: Ryan Strain played the joint-most five passes into the box against Rangers (5), regained possession a team-high seven times and led the team in interceptions (3).
It was a vital three points for United as they move into 10th in the league above Kilmarnock.
Ryan McGowan also played a full game for St. Johnstone in a 2-0 win over Livingston on Saturday.
In the Scottish Championship, Dylan McGowan played another full game for Hamilton Academical in a 1-0 loss to Queens Park on Saturday.
In the Premier League, Harry Souttar returned to the lineup and played a full game as Leicester City lost 3-1 to Manchester City on Sunday.
Souttar was also involved in Leicester’s goal as he rose highest from a corner and headered it goalwards for Kelechi Iheanacho to finish from close range.
- OPTA Insight: Harry Souttar made the most passes (39) of any Leicester player against Manchester City.
Leicester are 19th in the Premier League with 25 points from 31 games in their battle to avoid relegation. They are two points adrift of the safety zone.
In the English Championship, Tom Rogic was an unused substitute for West Brom in a 2-1 win over Stoke City on Sunday.
Riley McGree was not part of the squad for Friday’s 5-1 thrashing of Norwich City after injuring his ankle in training last week.
It is hoped that his injury is not too severe, but the full extent of the problem will not be confirmed until Boro’s medical staff have completed a series of tests.
In more injury news, Rotherham have confirmed Bailey Wright‘s season has been cut short by an ankle ligament injury.
Wright limped off during a vital 3-1 win over West Brom on Good Friday and has already begun his rehab as he aims to be fit for pre-season.
In League One, Massimo Luongo started and came off in the 78th minute as Ipswich Town FC thumped Charlton 6-0 on Sunday.
In Premier League 2 Division 1, Alexander Robertson started and played 74 minutes for Manchester City U21 in a 3-1 win over Chelsea U21 on Sunday.
In the Netherlands, Maty Ryan was in goal as AZ Alkmaar beat Fortuna Sittard 3-0 on Monday to snap a three game winless streak.
In Germany, both Connor Metcalfe and Jackson Irvine started as St Pauli’s 10 game win streak ended with a 2-1 loss to Eintracht Braunschweig on Sunday in the 2. Bundesliga. Irvine played a full game while Metcalfe was substituted at half time.
In France, Denis Genreau started and played 76 minutes following his first Ligue 1 start last weekend in Toulouse FC’s 2-1 loss to Lyon on Saturday.
In Czechia, Awer Mabil came on in the 81st minute for AC Sparta Prague in a 3-3 draw with Slavia Praha on Sunday.
In Belgium, Jason Davidson played another full game for KAS Eupen in a 5-1 loss to Zulte Waregem in the Belgian Pro League on Sunday.
Over to Asia, where Thomas Deng played a full game for Albirex Niigata in a 3-2 win over Avispa Fukuoka on Saturday in the J1 League.
- OPTA Insight: Thomas Deng had the joint-most touches (96) for Albirex Niigata, and won possession back nine times – the second most of any player against Avispa Fukuoka.
Elsewhere in the J1League, Mitch Langerak was in goal for Nagoya Grampus in a 2-1 win over Kawasaki on Saturday.
In the K1 League, Harrison Delbridge played another 90 minutes for Incheon United in a 2-0 win against Gangwon on Sunday.
In the MLS, Milos Degenek played another full game but unfortunately scored an own goal in Columbus Crew’s 1-1 draw with New England on Sunday.
Elsewhere in the US, Alex Gersbach was an unused substitute for Colorado Rapids in a 2-2 draw with Charlotte on Sunday.
Olyroos and Subway Young Socceroos
In the English Championship, goalkeeper Nicholas Bilokapic was on the bench as Huddersfield lost 1-0 to Swansea on Sunday.
In League One, Caleb Watts started and came off in the 62nd minute for Morecambe in a 1-0 win against Wycombe on Sunday.
In League Two, Lachlan Brook came on in the 50th minute for Crewe Alexandra in a 2-0 win over Walsall on Sunday.
In Scotland, Lewis Miller came off the bench in the 88th minute for Hibernian in a 1-0 loss to Heart of Midlothian on Saturday in the Edinburgh derby.
In the German 3. Liga, John Iredale started and came off in the 67th minute for SV Wehen Wiesbaden in a 2-0 win over 1860 Munich on Saturday.
In the German Regionalliga West, Jacob Italiano started and came off in the 67th minute for Borussia Mönchengladbach II in a 2-1 win against Straelen on Saturday.
Dylan Ryan was an unused substitute in the Eerste Divisie as FC Den Bosch lost 2-1 against Helmond Sport on Saturday.
More Aussies in Action
- In Italy’s Serie A, Cristian Volpato was an unused substitute for AS Roma in a 3-0 win over Udinese Monday.
- In Serie B, Alex Circati was on the Parma bench in a 1-1 draw with Modena on Friday.
- In the Croatian Football League, Doni Grdić was an unused substitute in HNK Šibenik’s 4-0 loss to HNK Gorica on Saturday.
- In League One, Cameron Burgess played a full game for Ipswich Town FC in a 6-0 win over Ashley Maynard-Brewer’s Charlton on Sunday.
- In League Two, Tete Yengi came on in the 86th minute for Northampton Town in a 0-0 draw over Carlisle on Sunday.
- In Scotland, Mark Birighitti was in goal for Dundee United in a 2-1 win over Motherwell on Sunday.
- In the K1 League, Alex Grant played a full game as Pohang Steelers drew 1-1 with FC Seoul on Saturday.
- Elsewhere in the K2 League, Patrick Flottmann played a full game for Seongnam FC in a 2-0 win over Cheonan City FC on Sunday.
- In the USL, Panos Armenakas started and came off in the 81st minute for Loudoun Utd in a 3-0 win over Birmingham Legion FC on Saturday.