The Canadian Women’s National Soccer Team (CanWNT) touched down in Melbourne on Monday, July 17, and will call Olympic Park (Heidelberg United) home throughout their group stage matches.
FIFA Ranking: 7
Head Coach: Beverly Preistman
The Canadian Women’s National Soccer Team Schedule:
- July 20 – Canada v Nigeria
- July 26 – Canada v Ireland
- July 31 – Canada v Australia
In the 32-team tournament, only the two-top teams will advance to the knockout stage with Canada the highest-ranked nation in the ‘Group of Death’. Host nation Australia (10th) is the next highest-ranked nation in Group B, while Ireland (22nd), and Nigeria (40th) round out the rest of the group.
If Canada can advance to the Round of 16, they will face either the winner or the runners-up from Group D. That group includes a powerful England outfit that won last year’s European Championship, as well as Denmark and China.
At the 2019 Women’s World Cup, Canada bowed out in the Round of 16, while their best finish is fourth, in 2003.
In 2021, Canada became Olympic champions for the first time, defeating Sweden 3-2 in a thrilling penalty shootout.
As of late, the seventh-ranked nation in the world hasn’t been in the best of form, winning one from their past six matches; including a 0-0 unofficial friendly match against England last week.
Players to look out for:
The 39-year-old captain of the Canada side is arguably her nation’s greatest-ever female player. She is the main striker for Canada and her club side, Portland Thorns. She is the all-time highest international scorer with 189 goals since earning her first cap at age 16.
The 24-year-old plays for English side Chelsea FC in the Women’s Super League. The midfielder made her debut for the national side at age 15 and has represented her nation 116 times.
The 27-year-old defender plies her trade for French side Paris Saint Germain and played a crucial role in Canada claiming its first-ever Gold Medal at the 2021 Tokyo Olympics. She had made 118 caps for her country and has also scored eight goals.
The Canadian Women’s National Soccer Team Roster:
- GK: Sabrina D’Angelo (Arsenal)
- GK: Lysianne Proulx (Torrensee)
- GK: Kailen Sheridan (San Diego Wave)
- DEF: Kdeisha Buchana (Chelsea)
- DEF: Allysha Chapman (Houston Dash)
- DEF: Vanessa Gilles (Lyon)
- DEF: Gabrielle Carle (Washington Spirit)
- DEF: Ashley Lawrence (Paris Saint-Germain)
- DEF: Jayde Riviere (Manchester United)
- DF: Shelina Zadorsky (Tottenham)
- MID: Simi Awujo (USC Trojans)
- MID: Jessie Fleming (Chelsea)
- MID: Julia Grosso (Juventus)
- MID: Quinn (OL Reign)
- MID: Sophie Schmidt (Houston Dash)
- MID: Jordyn Huitema (OL Reign)
- FW: Cloé Lacasse (Benfica)
- FWD: Adriana Leon (Portland Thorns)
- FWD: Nichelle Prince (Houston Dash)
- FWD: Deanne Rose (Reading)
- FWD: Christine Sinclair (Portland Thorns)
- FWD: Evelyn Viens (Kristianstads)
- FWD: Olivia Smith (Penn State)