Dublin, Oct. 24, 2023 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) — The “Optical Satellite Communication Market by Type (Satellite-to-Satellite, Ground-to-Satellite Communication), Component (Transmitter, Receivers, Amplifiers, Transponders, Antenna, Converter), Application, Laser Type and Region – Global Forecast to 2028” report has been added to ResearchAndMarkets.com’s offering.
The optical satellite communication market is valued at USD 282 million in 2023 and is projected to reach USD 1134 million by 2028, at a CAGR of 32.1% from 2023 to 2028
The optical satellite communication market is undergoing significant evolution, driven by expanding use cases, improved cost efficiencies, and its vital role in bridging the global digital divide. In a world increasingly reliant on data-intensive applications like high-definition video streaming, virtual reality, and the Internet of Things (IoT), efficient and high-capacity communication channels have become essential.
Optical communication stands out for its ability to manage vast data volumes, making it a preferred choice. Researchers are also exploring optical communication for inter-satellite communication, promising faster data transfer between orbiting satellites. This advancement is crucial for space missions, including space exploration, Earth observation, and scientific research.
The continual enhancement of laser technology, optical components, and modulation techniques is making optical satellite communication more cost-effective and accessible. This trend is lowering entry barriers and driving market growth.
Private enterprises and startups are increasingly recognizing the value of optical satellite communication for various applications, from commercial satellite services to space tourism. This surge in investment and innovation is propelling the industry forward.
Optical satellite communication is now being integrated with terrestrial optical networks, offering the potential to enhance overall communication infrastructure by facilitating seamless data flow between satellites and terrestrial networks. Free-space optical communication (FSO), which utilizes light to transmit data through free space, is under investigation for building high-speed communication links between satellites, satellite-to-ground stations, and even aircraft and satellites.
North America, with its reliance on satellite communication in sectors like telecommunications, television, weather monitoring, and crisis management, is a key driver of optical satellite communication technology. The region’s collaborative environment, involving universities, research organizations, and commercial enterprises, is expected to accelerate the development and adoption of innovative technologies, including optical satellite communication.
North America boasts a thriving aerospace and defense industry, particularly focused on satellite technology. Established companies, research institutions, and government agencies have all contributed to the advancement and deployment of advanced satellite communication technologies, including optical communication.
Key players in the optical satellite communication market include Ball Corporation (US), Minaric AG (Switzerland), Atlas Space Operations, INC (US), SpaceMicro (US), Tesat Spacecom GMBH (Germany), and others.
Based on application, the telecommunication & cellular backhaul segment is projected to register the highest during the forecast period 2023-2028.
Backhaul technology advancements, including higher-capacity fiber optics and microwave lines, enable more efficient data transfer and lower latency, making them critical components for optical satellite communication. The epidemic of COVID-19 in 2020 has hastened the adoption of remote work and online collaboration solutions.
As a result, the need for robust and high-speed connections increased, putting pressure on communications networks to expand their backhaul capacity. In 2021, 5G network implementation is well underway, requiring a denser network of smaller cells to provide the promised fast data rates and minimal latency, optical satellite communication is certainly going to play a key role in the implementation of such services.
Based on laser type, the GaAs laser segment is to lead the market during the forecast period 2023-2028
Due to its unique features, gallium arsenide (GaAs) lasers dominate this category for certain applications in optical satellite communication. GaAs is a compound semiconductor material that has been used in the construction of lasers such as diode lasers and vertical-cavity surface-emitting lasers (VCSELs).
The ability of GaAs lasers to emit light in the near-infrared spectrum, which is well-suited for optical communication applications, is a fundamental advantage. They are also temperature stable and can run at reasonably high temperatures without substantial performance deterioration. These characteristics make GaAs lasers appropriate for use in space conditions with temperature changes.
|No. of Pages
|2023 – 2028
|Estimated Market Value (USD) in 2023
|Forecasted Market Value (USD) by 2028
|Compound Annual Growth Rate
- Increasing Use of Optical Satellites for Secured Communication to Drive Market
- Satellite-To-Satellite Communication Payloads to Lead Market During Forecast Period
- Small Satellites to Have Highest Market Share During Forecast Period
- Earth Observation and Remote Sensing to Register Highest CAGR During Forecast Period
- Transponders Segment to Account for Largest Market Share During Forecast Period
- Gaas-based Lasers to Dominate Market During Forecast Period
Use Case Analysis
- Optical Inter-Satellite Communication Technology
- Optical Satellite Tracking for Space Warfare
- Factorized Power Architecture
- Advantages Over Conventional RF Technologies
- Growing Need for Secured Communication
- Increasing Use in Space Exploration and Scientific Research
- Advancements in Optics and Signal Processing Technology
- Accelerating Demand for High-Speed Free Space Optics
- High Installation Cost of Free Space Optics
- Stringent Government Regulations and Policies
- Technical Limitations
- Growing Adoption of Li-Fi
- Increasing Use of Cloud-based Services
- Increasing Use in Healthcare and Emergency Response
- Electromagnetic Compatibility Challenges
- Atmospheric Interference
- Beam Dispersion and Signal Loss
- Precise Pointing and Tracking
- Fusion of Satellite and 5G Networks
- High Throughput Satellites (Hts)
- Miniaturization of Satellites
- Space-Air-Ground Integrated Network (Sagin)
- Intelligent Optical Satellite Communication
- Atp Technology
- Manned Space Activity
- Data Transmission from Observation Satellites
- Rf and Optical Space Communications Systems
- Antenna Diameter
- Antenna Coverage and Tracking Accuracy
- Acquisition Sequence
- Communications System
- Comparison of Onboard Requirements of Rf and Optical Communication Systems
Impact of Megatrends
- Growth of the Internet of Things (IoT)
- Increasing Demand for Global Connectivity
- Development of New Space Technologies
- Ball Corporation
- Mynaric AG
- Bridgecomm Inc.
- Space Micro Inc.
- Tesat-Spacecom GmbH & Co. KG
- Lightpath Technologies
- Atlas Space Operations, Inc.
- Honeywell International Inc.
- Mitsubishi Electric Corporation
- Sony Space Communications Corporation
- Aac Clyde Space
- Nec Corporation
- General Atomics
- Sitael Spa
- Laser Technology, Inc.
- Transcelestial Technologies
- Oxford Space Systems Ltd.
- Archangel Lightworks Ltd.
- Xona Space Systems
For more information about this report visit https://www.researchandmarkets.com/r/17gtke
ResearchAndMarkets.com is the world’s leading source for international market research reports and market data. We provide you with the latest data on international and regional markets, key industries, the top companies, new products and the latest trends.